Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Mom, Cam and Fam Meet Dan


This Blog post is written Dottie Butler - Lisa Soyka's Mother


My Husband Cam and Myself (Dottie)
 
When Lisa asked me to write about the first time Cam, her step-father, and I met Dan, we both had to really search our memory bank for specifics.  Of course as everyone knows it’s the memory that fails us first.    

But some things are very clear like it was only yesterday....

Me (Dottie) and My Beautiful Daughter Lisa on her Wedding Day
Lisa and I are very close and as she shared with me several failed relationships (no one to blame in particular, just not the right one) I suggested she go on Match.com.  I had known of several people who took that route and were successful in finding their mate.   As a veterinary professional working weekdays till 7 pm and the majority of Saturdays till 1:00, it is not that easy to find the time and energy to put forth in an effort to find the person that may be Mr. Right. 
So when I got a call from Lisa saying she got several responses from her profile, we were both excited.  We agreed to meet the following afternoon at the mall, shop and have a nice lunch where she would show me the responses.  
        
She had printed profile copies of the gentlemen she may possibly be interested in.  We had a fun lunch, talking and laughing as she showed me three profiles she was interested in meeting.  

This Man Dan Was Chosen!
 
It wasn’t more than a day or two when she called to say she was meeting the one that was her first pick, Dan.  After the first date she was like a teenager meeting her first love.  She went out with one other guy the next weekend, came home and said there was no chemistry and it was Dan she wanted to see.  All remaining profiles found the trash heap.

Things were progressing quickly, they were seeing each other more days (than not) in the weeks to come.  She was cheerful and seemed very happy.  Of course, as a mother I wanted to meet this man who brought a smile to her face.  We were eagerly looking forward to giving our approval of Dan.  Any concerns we may have had were put to rest immediately upon meeting him.


Dan and Lisa in N.Georgia
Within a couple weeks of their relationship we invited them up to our North Georgia mountain home for wine, appetizers, dinner, great scenic view of the Fall colors and of course great conversation and dessert.  

What a nice surprise when we met them at the door and Dan greeted me with a hug and a large bouquet of flowers.  We were also very pleased that he is an animal person since he had to deal with our Golden, Max, and our four cats.   Of course, with Lisa being a Veterinarian he would have no other choice but to love animals!  

Dan Loves Dogs :)

We found Dan to be considerate and polite and an intellectual.  He has a very strong personality, not one that would let a woman walk all over him and that was obviously a trait that attracted Lisa.   From a physical perspective I could see the attraction Lisa had with Dan.  My initial thoughts were yes, he is very handsome and with a well developed physique.  He obviously takes care of himself, works out and enjoys the outdoors as his tan made that apparent.  From all obvious appearances he seemed to be a picture of perfect health.    

 In less than a year he would begin having symptoms no one could explain..... 

After our initial meeting with Dan my sister, Linda, her husband, Duane and son, Brian came down as they always do every year for Thanksgiving.  They arrived the Saturday before Thanksgiving, and Sunday we all decided to head to Lisa’s in Marietta, GA.    


My sister and family, as well as myself, are all from Pennsylvania and huge Steeler fans.  Much to our liking, Dan is also from Pa. and a Steelers fan too!  I’m starting to wonder if there is any flaw to the guy, he’s perfect!  There was a huge game that night; the Steelers were playing the Chiefs.
 
We watched the game at Lisa and Dan’s favorite local bar, Mazzy’s.  To all our disappointment, the Chiefs kicked a 22- yard field goal with only 8:28 left in overtime and the Steelers lost 24-27!  Nevertheless, it was a good time.  We all went back to Lisa’s for a homemade lasagna dinner.
Dan and Lisa's Cousin Brian

My nephew has Down syndrome and the way Dan interacted with him was amazing.  Brian LOVED Dan.  He had to sit by Dan at dinner and was really excited when Dan taught him a special hand shake that they would end up doing about 100 times that night.   
Me (Dottie) and Daughter Lisa

As I mentioned earlier, Lisa has had many disappointments in the past but this man was different.  As a mom, I worry about her getting too involved too early but I felt 150% comfortable with Dan.  I had a certain intuition with this one, I can’t explain it but I knew this was something very special that would change Lisa’s life

No comments:

Post a Comment